Closed Account Notification System (CANS)
To ensure further protection if you fall victim of identity theft, the credit union will be complying with a new electronic notification system known as “CANS”, standing for “Closed Account Notification System”. Starting March 1, the credit union is required to provide notice of fraud to check verification companies.
In doing so, this will help protect you if you fall victim to fraud and have to close your checking account. The information shared with check verification companies will be used to recommend that merchants reject checks written on the closed account. This will protect the fraud victim from being accused of passing bad checks.
If you find you are a victim of identity theft, please provide the credit union with the following information when you come to the credit union to close your account:
1. Sworn Statement that you are a victim of ID Theft and a written authorization to the credit union to submit the necessary information to the electronic notification system. Click here to download the necessary forms.
2. A copy of the police report or police case number.
If you need assistance or have additional questions, please contact the credit union at (713) 864-0959.
- What is ID Theft?
- How to prevent ID Theft.
- Detect Suspicious Activity
- What To Do if You Fall Victim
- Closed Account Notification System